College of Liberal Arts Student Services
Main navigation |
CLA 1001/1002: The First-Year Experience
CLA 1001 Program Assistant with her section on College Day
Students work hard to get into the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Minnesota. This CLA First-Year Experience was created to help students succeed while they are here. Throughout the First-Year Experience, students will:
- Spend time figuring out who they are and what they want in life. Reflect on their life and experiences. This experience provides structured ways for students to reflect on their values, interests, motivations and goals.
- Learn how to navigate the U of M. Learn about the services available to CLA students (advising about classes and majors, career counseling, how to use the U's graduation planner, internship guidance, and more).
- Connect with and learn from their peers. Gain a mentor: CLA upperclassmen will share their experiences with the first-year students.
- Strategize about how to thrive in college, and how to graduate with experiences that lead to career and graduate/professional school options. Get help thinking about and planning their long-term goals.
- Connect with the U of M community. Learn about student groups they can join. Get involved with campus activities.
While most CLA freshmen will enroll in CLA 1001 and CLA 1002, please note that students admitted to the Access to Success (ATS) Program will take CLA 1005 and CLA 2005. CLA student athletes will take OUE 1086 and CLA 1002.
If you have questions about the First-Year Experience, talk to your CLA adviser during Orientation or contact CLA Student Programs at email@example.com or 612-625-3846.
Follow us on Twitter Your PA will connect with you on Facebook